This article will cover how to create custom categories in bulk. This is a great tool if you are looking to have multiple categories and sub categories.
- First, you will need to map out your categories. We recommend using a tool called WriteMaps. That website will allow you to get all of your categories mapped out in one place. It makes it much easier to visualize the flow of categories and sub categories. Using WriteMaps (or any other service) is entirely optional, but it may help make category organization easier.
- Next, open up Microsoft Excel and create your categories spreadsheet (feel free to use our template as a guide, BulkCustomCategories.csv). Your spreadsheet can contain the following column headers.
- Parent category key – All categories must have a parent category. If you are creating the head category the parent category key will be “Category Root.”
- Category Name – This is the name of the Category.
- Category Key/ID – This is the unique identifier that separate each category.
NOTE: all letters must be lower case and no spaces are allowed.
- Category Header – This is the title that will show up on the page when you click on the category.
- Visible – By selecting "yes" the category will be visible on the site.
- List subcategories on cat page – Mark "yes" if you have subcategories.
- Custom URL (Optional) – This allows you to create a unique URL for your category.
- Display Sub Image (Optional) – After creating the categories you will have the option to upload images. If you want the images to display for your sub categories mark this column yes.
- Priority (Optional) – This is used to rank one category over another. In order for ranking to take place. Categories must be under the same parent category.
- Save your spreadsheet as a .csv file.
- In the search bar in the left-side menu, search for "bulk" and click on the "Bulk Category Loader" section.
- You can leave the selector fields as their defaults, or change them to preference.
- Click the "Choose File" button and select the file you just created.
- Click the "Upload File" button.
- Map your Column headers with the correct categories from the drop downs. This tells our system which column contains which information.
- Click the "Update Categories" button.
- Our system will tell you how many categories were created and how many were updated
- To view your categories navigate to “Browse Categories”
Bulk category loading has not yet been implemented for the Manage platform. Stay tuned for updates!