You’re ready to branch into the world of Google Products? Follow this how to article to setup your Google Product Feed.
For Google's specifications on Product Feeds, click here.
NOTE: First we must verify and link all of your Google accounts. You can follow this article on the RP admin support forums: Click Here
You can also find this information on Google Support forums: Click Here
Now that you have verified your accounts follow the steps below to complete you product feed:
In Google Merchant Center make sure to setup your Shipping settings.
IMPORTANT: Please note that you will need to inflate your Google Merchant Center shipping settings with a 10% to 15% fee over what you have within your RevolutionParts realtime shipping settings. Make sure to match each method and apply the inflated fee to Google Merchant Center. Any changes in shipping methods will need to be updated within Google Merchant Center.
We encourage you to inflate your shipping costs in Google Merchant Center because if the shipping on your site is higher than the shipping in Merchant Center, Google could suspend your account due to shipping policy violations. Google does not seem to mind if shipping costs on Merchant center are higher than on the site, which is why we encourage inflating them. If you have any other questions regarding Merchant Center shipping inflation, feel free to contact support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IMPORTANT: In addition to inflation to successfully calculate accurate shipping no handling fees can be on the RP site. Please remove all handling fees from the RP Control panel. Handling fees create a miscalculation in Merchant Center and could cause account suspension.
- Under “Settings” click on “shipping” and create a shipping method
- Enter the Shipping method name
- Choose Carrier-calculated rate
- Define your Carrier-calculated rate
- Hit Save!
Add your tax settings
- Under “Settings” click on “tax” and create your tax class for your state
- Setup your states tax settings
Setting Up Automatic Item Updates
By turning this on you are allowing Google to look at the micro data on your website. The micro data will contain the pricing and availability of each product. Anytime there is a change in the availability (only if you have inventory set up on your site) or the price changes Google will automatically update your product feed listings with that data. By doing this there will never be a pricing or availability discrepancy.
- In GMC navigate to “Settings”
- Click on “Automatic item updates”
- Check the box to “Enable automatic item updates”
- From the Attributes to be updated drop down choose “Price and availability”
- Check the box that states “Also update items that are 'in stock' on my website but 'out of stock' on Shopping.”
- Hit save changes!
Create your Feed in Google Merchant Center
- Navigate to the feed section in GMC
- Hit “+Data Feed”
- Select “Standard” mode
- Feed Type "Product"
- Choose the target country
- Add the file name. Make sure there are no spaces and the file name ends in .txt (This file name will also be added in Revolution Admin)
- Hit Continue
- Choose “Scheduled fetches," then click "Continue."
After clicking "Continue," leave this window open. Create a new page/tab in your web browser and log into your RevolutionParts Control Panel.
Now we need to create the feed. Navigate to “Shopping” in Revolution Parts admin:
- Click on the Google Tools button on your RevolutionParts Admin homepage.
- Navigate to the “Shopping” tab
- Click on the “Create Feed” button
- In the first drop down Choose the data feed you wish to create. In this case you will choose "OE Catalog”
- Input the file name that you entered in GMC. Make sure that the file name is identical or your feed will not be able to upload properly.
- Enter the email that you wish to be notified when your feed is updated and ready.
- Choose the data you want included in your Feed
- Choose “Yes” or “No” to include oversized items
- Choose if you only want to include parts with Custom Images
- Include Out-of-stock Parts? Set this value to "No" if you want your feed to only include parts that are in-stock.
- Only Include Parts With Valid Weights And Dimensions? Set this value to "Yes" if you want your feed to only include parts that we have valid W&Ds for.
- Use Custom Images? Here you can set to default to the RevoluiontParts diagrams and images. This is useful if the custom images your store has uploaded has watermarks. Google does not allow watermarked images on the product page or product feed.
- Edit your Product Title Template to your liking. This field allows you to determine how the product name displays within the feed and ads. The available variables are listed below the template box.
- Edit your “Description Template” to your liking. This field comes with a basic templet. It is a great starting point! If you choose to edit you can use the available variables below the description box.
- Always use the description template? You can choose to always default to the above description template even if we have a manufacture written description.
- Choose the minimum and maximum price you wish to include in the feed.
- Choose the start and end year of the model years you wish to include in your feed.
Optional: Google FTP Credentials
The Google FTP is an easy way to upload product feeds to Google Merchant Center automatically.
- Log in to your Google Merchant Center
- Click on "Settings" on the left-side menu, then "FTP."
- There, make sure to select the option for FTP, NOT SFTP. ***SFTP will not work***
Once you've generated/obtained your FTP credentials, copy and paste them into the corresponding fields at the bottom of the Product Feed creation in the RevolutionParts Control Panel.
NOTE: All new feeds are generated within 2 hours. Any changes that you make to the feed in admin will need to be resubmitted.
Leave Merchant Center open until the feed is generated. You'll need it to complete feed setup.
After the feed has been created and you've receive the notification email, go back to the Shopping tab in the Google Tools section to continue feed setup.
- Find the feed file you created. You should see the feed filename in blue (it will appear as a link). To obtain the URL for your feed, right-click the feed and select the option for "Copy Link Address" (or whatever is most similar on your browser).
- Go back to Merchant Center feed setup and paste the link you copied into the "File URL" field.
- Set your Fetch Frequency depending on how frequently you want Google to update your feed data (Weekly is usually sufficient, and is used by our internal marketing services).
- Set any additional necessary parameters, including Fetch day, Fetch time, Time zone, etc.
(You can ignore the Username and Password fields, the feed isn't password protected.)
- Click Save to create your feed file in Merchant Center.
PLEASE NOTE: Your feed was successfully uploaded into Google Merchant Center? You're almost done! Navigate to Adwords to complete the process. View our "How to Create a Shopping Campaign" article by clicking here.
That is it! You have successfully created your first Google Product Feed. If you have any questions or concerns with the setup of your feed reach out to our RevolutionParts support team at email@example.com or call us at 480-779-7278.
If you are interested in using the RevolutionParts Marketing Agency to take care of your marketing needs, email firstname.lastname@example.org.