Default Domestic Shipping Setup
Setting up your shipping options can be a tedious process. We have designed a quick and easy step-by-step guide to get your shipping up and running. Below, you will see the best guidelines to set up domestic shipping. We will cover the following topics in this tutorial:
- Setting up your Domestic Shipping
- Basic shipping strategy and good default settings
- Setting up a shipping fee
- Dimension restrictions for each carrier (USPS, UPS, FedEx)
**Note: Be sure to configure your shipping here!
From the Control Panel,
- In the left-side menu, click on "Cart Settings"
- Select "Payment, Shipping & Discounts"
- Select "Manage Shipping"
- Click on the "Real-Time Methods" tab near the top of the page
- Click the "Add a new real-time shipping method" button at the top of the page to create a new method
- Destination Region - To what area do you want to provide shipping with this method?
- Shipping Carrier - Select carrier (FedEx, UPS, USPS)
- Carrier Method - Select shipping method (Ground, Priority, Next Day, etc)
- Allowed States - Select the individual states/provinces in which you want the method to be visible, or select "All States." Be aware that selecting "All States" for US-based destinations includes US protectorates, including Guam, Puerto Rico, Marshall Islands, Armed Forces, and others.
- Optionally configure the weight range for the method. It should automatically populate when you select the method, and you shouldn't go above the default value for max weight.
- Apply a fee on top of the method
- We strongly recommend applying a percentage fee over the shipping carrier calculated rate. For example, if UPS quotes $10 to ship a package, adding a 15% fee would show the buyer an $11.50 shipping charge ($10 + 15%).
- You can optionally change the display name (what the customer will see)
- Make sure the method is not hidden (unless you want to hide it for whatever reason)
- Click "Save" to add your new method
Note: We recommend using either FedEx or UPS as your primary shipping carrier based on your preferred carrier. The reason for this is that checkout can get crowded if there are too many shipping options.
Setting up shipping fees
Shipping fees are used to add or subtract an additional fee to the daily pick-up rate through a percentage or fixed dollar amount.
- Navigate to the “Real-Time Methods” tab
- Choose either percentages or fixed US Dollar fees to add to each individual category.
- Your shipping fees are now done!
Dimension restrictions for each carrier are listed below:
United States Postal Service:
How to get to the Shipping Settings page
- First, log into your account on manage.revolutionparts.com.
- Click on the "gear" icon on the top-right corner to go to your account settings.
- Click on "Store Settings" at the bottom of the left-side navigation menu.
- Click on the name of the store you want to configure.
- Click on "Shipping" to open the Shipping Settings page.
Here's a quick example of what your shipping page might look like:
At the top of the Shipping Settings page are the global shipping settings for your store. These settings include Handling Fee, per-item Hazmat Surcharge, signature required minimum, and more. Use these options to configure your store as desired, then click the blue "Save Changes" button on the top-right corner to lock everything in.
Shipping Regions and Zones
Shipping method setup is broken down into sections known as "Zones." Each Zone represents different countries, including the United States, Canada, the "rest of the world," etc. Within Zones are "Regions," which include the different state/province options available in that Zone.
For example, "United States" is a Zone, and "Nevada" is a Region within that Zone.
Conversely, "Europe" is a Zone, and "United Kingdom" is a Region within that Zone.
To add a new shipping method, you first have to define the desired Zone and Region.
- Click the green "Add New Zone" button to add a new zone.
- In the popup that follows, select the desired zone, then click, "Add Shipping Zone."
Once the zone is added, you'll see it on the Shipping Setup page.
But, there still aren't any shipping methods. We now need to create a Shipping Region within that Zone, then define the shipping methods for that Region! To create a new Shipping Region:
- Click the "Add New Region" button under the newly created Shipping Zone.
- Choose the Shipping Region you'd like to add. (Choosing "Custom" will allow you to select individual states. Simply Control+click (Command+click on Mac) to select multiple states.)
Once the Shipping Region is added, you'll see it under the Zone in the "Shipping Regions" column.
Adding Shipping Methods
Once the Zone(s) and Region(s) are configured, it's time to add shipping methods! To add a new method;
- Click on the "Add Method" button.
- Select the method type.
There are four types of shipping methods you can add;
This method type allows you to select from a list of common shipping methods offered by FedEx, UPS, and USPS. Choose the desired method (the "speed" should update automatically when you select the method). In the "Method Criteria," you can choose the weight range for which you want this method to apply, whether or not this method allows hazmat shipments, and whether or not this method requires a minimum order subtotal. You can then add a fee on top of the Live Rates calculated by the carrier before saving the method.
For example, if UPS Ground quotes $10 to ship a package, and you add a 15% fee, the buyer would see $11.50 to ship via UPS Ground ($10 + 15%).
Fixed or Flat
This method type allows you to fix the shipping price of an order based on a flat rate, the order subtotal, or the order weight. First, set the shipping "speed," enter the weight range the method will apply to, then choose the calculation method. When you've configured the method to preference, click the "Add Method" button.
This method type allows your buyers to pick up their order in-store. The only options available for Local Pickup is an order subtotal and a fixed pickup price (designated as "Fee Amount"). When you've configured the method to preference, click the "Add Method" button.
Freight (Oversized items over 150lbs)
This method only appears on orders/items that qualify as "oversized," which are oversized items weighing 150lbs or more. You can choose to base the method on "Fixed" (for which you can set a base price and an additional fee per item), or "Based on Weight" (for which you can set a base price and an additional fee per pound). When you've configured the method to preference, click the "Add Method" button.
When you're done adding Shipping Regions and methods, your shipping setup might look something like this:
And once you're done adding different Zones and configuring those Regions and methods, your final setup might look something like this:
(Note that you don't need to click the "Save Changes" button on the top-right when adding new Zones, Regions, or Methods. Those automatically save when added, and the button at the top is for the general Shipping Settings at the top of the page.)