This article will cover how to set up PayPal Payments Pro and PayPal Express Checkout
How to Set up PayPal Payments Pro
This is payment option allows you to process credit card payments directly on your site. To add PayPal Payments Pro, follow these steps:
- Navigate to www.paypal.com/api and log in to your PayPal account.
- On the screen that follows, click the Request API Credentials link.
- Note: If you’ve already generated a set of API credentials, you’ll have to delete your existing set before you can generate a new set of credentials. In this case, you’ll see a View API Signature (or Certificate) link where the Request API credentials link is. Click the View API Signature link, and on the page that appears, click the Remove button to delete the existing signature.
- Select Request API Signature, and click "Agree and Submit" to generate the API Signature. If necessary, click "View Signature" to see your API credentials.
- The image below shows this page with an example set of Signature credentials.
- Open a new tab or page, then navigate to the Payment Methods section of the RevolutionParts Control Panel.
- The Payment Methods section can be found under "Cart Settings > Payments, Shipping & Discounts > Payment Methods." There, click on the drop-down menu that says, "Please choose your payment solution..." and select PayPal Payments Pro. Click "Activate."
- Copy and paste the API credentials from PayPal into your RevolutionParts Control Panel
- TIP: On this step we recommend using the following keyboard shortcuts to copy and paste your API Credentials. The API Signature in step 6 has more characters than what appears in the field so this method is best.
- Select All – Ctrl + A
- Copy – Ctrl + C
- Paste – Ctrl + V
- Click "Save and Activate"
If you're NOT using PayPal Payments Pro for your credit card processor, it is recommended that you add your API credentials (similar to Pro) for PayPal Express Checkout. This will allow you to refund payments directly from the order page within the RevolutionParts admin panel opposed to having to go to PayPal. If you ARE using PayPal Payments Pro, there's no need to enter credentials for Express Checkout, since it will use your Pro credentials. To do this follow the first to steps in your Pro setup and continue with these steps:
- Click “Manage Payment Options”
- Select “PayPal Express Checkout”
- Click “Additional Settings”
- Click to retrieve API credentials
- Save changes
How to Set Up PayPal Express Checkout
- Log in to the RevolutionParts Control Panel and click the Helpful Tool button at the bottom of the page for "Payments".
- Click the drop-down, "Please choose your payment solution..." and select "PayPal Express Checkout," then click, "Activate."
- Enter the email address associated with the PayPal account you wish to use, then click, "Save & Activate."
- Refresh the Payment Methods page and click the "Manage Payment Options" tab, then click on "PayPal Express Checkout"
- Click on the "Additional Settings" tab.
- In a new window or tab, log in to www.paypal.com/api and follow Steps 2-5 from the PayPal Payments Pro instructions above to retrieve your API credentials.
- Paste your API credentials into the corresponding fields.
- Scroll down the page and "Save" changes.
Setting Payment Priority
Setting your priority will allow set the priority of the payment methods for customers. As a rule of thumb, you want to set PayPal Pro to “1” which will select credit card payment as the default payment method and PayPal Express checkout as “2” to make a secondary option.
To add PayPal as a payment method on your store, follow these instructions!
How to get to the Payment Settings page
- Log into your account on manage.revolutionparts.com.
- Click on the gear on the top-right corner to access your Account Settings.
- Click on "Store Settings," then the store you want to configure, then "Payment."
- The Payment Settings page has a few options you can configure globally, including currency code, credit card auth mode, and accepted credit card types. These settings can be changed and saved with the blue "Save Changes" button on the top-right corner of the page.
How to Add the PayPal Payment Method
- To add a new payment method:
- Click the green "New Payment Method" button.
- Select "PayPal Payments Pro" or "PayPal Express Checkout," depending on which method you want to add.
- NOTE: If you're adding PayPal Payments Pro, credentials for PayPal Express Checkout will be added automatically when Pro is configured.
What's the difference between PayPal Payments Pro and PayPal Express Checkout?
PayPal Payments Pro is a credit card processor that allows buyers to enter their credit card information on your website. Buyers never know that the processor is PayPal; they just see blank credit card fields.
PayPal Express Checkout is what consumers typically mean when they think "PayPal." It's the service that allows buyers to log into their PayPal accounts and use their account balance to make a purchase, or check out as a guest using a credit or debit card.
You'll be prompted to fill out a series of fields, including the email address associated with your PayPal account, the API username, password, and signature (which are different than the regular account credentials).
To obtain your PayPal API credentials, click the link under the fields to go to www.paypal.com/api, where you'll log into your PayPal account, click "Request API Credentials" or "View API Signature" (whichever is available on your account), then generate/view your credentials. Be sure to copy and paste them exactly as they appear on PayPal's side.
Once gateway credentials have been added, you can choose whether or not the method is enabled, and whether or not it's in Test Mode. If you leave the method in Test Mode, it cannot process transactions.
When all fields are populated, click the blue "Add Payment Method" button at the bottom of the prompt to add the method.