What is two-factor authentication (2FA)?
Two-factor authentication (2FA) is an identity and access management security method that requires two forms of identification to access resources and data, such as your RevolutionParts account.
Why is RevolutionParts requiring 2FA?
This update is required by the FTC Revised Safeguard Rules as a measure to protect all customer information containing non-public personal data.
Am required to follow the FTC requirements to activate 2FA?
Yes; all accounts selling through the RevolutionParts platform must enable two-factor authentication.
When is the deadline to enable 2FA?
The deadline to enable 2FA is Friday, June 9, 2023.
Why can’t I just use my password?
Like many people, you probably use a strong password to protect your accounts. But hackers use different tactics to steal or guess your passwords. Here are some ways they may try to access your information:
- Phishing attacks. Hackers may use email or text messages to trick you into giving them your personal and financial information, such as your login credentials.
- Data breaches. When a data breah occurs, your credentials could be leaked to scammers. Without 2FA, this would allow them to use your username and password to log in to the account where the breach happened. (Note: that’s why it’s important to change your password right away if you find out that your information may have been exposed in a breach!)
- Recycled credentials. Hackers might also try to use the username and password to log in to another one of your accounts. This works only if you use the same username and password in more than one place — and is a reason to never reuse the same username and password.
- Password crackers. If hackers only have your username, they can use software to guess your password. If the site doesn’t have safeguards to detect this type of attack, the hacker’s software may be able to try many different passwords.
Taking steps to keep your password secure is an important first line of defense against hackers. But the best way to protect your accounts is to use two-factor authentication, sometimes called two-step verification or multi-factor authentication.
What are the types of authentication factors?
Authentication factors fall into three categories:
- Something you know, like a password, a PIN, or the answer to a security question.
- Something you have, like a one-time verification passcode you get by text, email, or from an authenticator app; or a security key.
- Something you are, like your fingerprint, your face, or your retina.
Accounts with two-factor authentication require you to enter a credential from two of the three categories to log in.
RevolutionParts will use ‘something you know’ and ‘something you have’ to implement 2FA. We will send an in-depth description of what this will look like closer to the implementation of this feature.
What additional resources can I check out?
Here are some additional resources regarding two-factor authentication: